Paolo Nesi is full professor at the University of Florence, working at Dipartimento di Sistemi e Informatica (Computer Science Department) as: Vice-director, member of the Scientific Committe (Commissione Scientifica) for the Faculty of Engineering. Chair of the DISIT (Distributed Systems and Internet Technology) Lab, of the University of Florence. Since 2011, he is also a member of the scientific committee of CSAVRI of the University of Florence, and referent of the APRE Toscana for the University of Florence. He founded and is at present responsible of the DISIT research group and LAB working mainly on: software engineering, signal analysis (video and audio processing), protection models, models and media for digital content distribution, distributed architecture systems, formal methods and models, artificial vision, music recognition, artificial intelligence, cultural heritage, knowledge representation, semantic computing and models, digital rights management (DRM), CAS, automated formatting, component systems, multimedia middleware, distribution systems, GRID, P2P, mobile solutions, user profiling, etc. The work he has carried out in such different fields has been appreciated in different ways. P. Nesi is a member of IEEE , ACM, AIIA, ICPR.
For thesis and work at DISIT follow this link.
For didaptical aspects see on: distributed systems, collaborative and protection systems, DRM, p2p, semantic and media grid, cloud computing and virtualization, mobile systems, software engineering and project planning/management, Fondamenti di Informatica, computer science.
Main activities in temporal order:
- Cross Media Learning Management System at MIUR..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.to get more, it is currently in use on: ECLAP portal and EC CIP PsP project ECLAP Best Practice Network and e-learning support in connection with Europeana. Idraulica.fupress.com, a portal for e-learning and distance learning in Idraulic Engineering; Mobile Medicine, see below, a portal for medical distance learning and social networking. MyStooryPlayer semantic audiovisual annotation tool.
- Mobile Medicine on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI..to get more please see Mobile Medicine Social Network and iPad/iPhone and windows PDA tools
- Mobile Emergency at MIUR -..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI... to get more on Mobile Emergency, an Apple App for iPhone. A tool to manage emergency in the hospital area. Developed in collaboration with the Maxi Emergency group on Mobile Medicine. The solution also implies the connection with a server to manage the emergencies and the help the people involved in getting the exit and the collecting centers according to model of interventions.
- Content Processing Media Grid, AXCP on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.. to get more it is the core technology for semantic computing and media grid the so called AXCP Media Grid computing tools. It is going to appear on IEEE Multimedia in the 2011 and it has been developed starting from one of the results of AXMEDIS project .
- since 2011: Referent for the University of Florence of the APRE Toscana.
- since 2011: Member of the Scientific Committe of the joined lab industry-university INEA LAB, "Laboratorio per l'Ingegneria Elettroacustica".
- 2011: General co-Chair of the DMS 2011, Florence, Italy, 17th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems, located at the Convitto della Calza (http://www.calza.it/it/) Florence, Italy, August 18 to 20, 2011, Organized by Knowledge Systems Institute, USA, University of Florence, Italy; and the University of Leeds, UK.
- 2011: program committe member of 34th Software Engineering Workshop (SEW-2011), Limerick, Ireland, 20-21 June 2011.
- since 2010: editorial board member of International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (IJSEKE), World Scientific, ISSN: 0218-1940.
- since 2010: Member of the Scientific Committe of the National Journal Leadership and Managment, Tecna Editrice.
- since 2010: Coordinator of ECLAP project ICT PsP of the European Commission in connection with the European Digital Libray, EUROPEANA.
- since 2010: Technical coordinator of Palamede e-Journal.press project for Florence University Press, FUP.
- 2010: Invited talk of Paolo Nesi at the C.A.P.I. European Federation: Invitation to the forum discussion, 23rd February 2010, European Parliament, “Piracy and file sharing: challenges and perspectives For the Digital Renaissance”.
- 2010: Program committe member of ICSOFT 2010 international conference.
- 2010: DMS 2010: Programme co-chair with Kia Ng of the Sixteenth International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus, Oak Brook, Illinois, USA, October 14 - October 16, 2010, Organized by Knowledge Systems Institute Graduate School. The DMS conference is an international conference series, which covers a wide spectrum of paper presentations, technical discussions and demonstrations in the fields of distributed multimedia computing. Started in 1994, the series of conference has been held at Hawaii, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Taipei, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Japan, San Francisco, Miami and Canada.
- 2009: MIREX 2009 competition about the polyphonic music transcoding algorithms and tools. Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking Results, resulted to be the winner for the Tukey-Kramer HSD Multi-Comparison for Task2B (Piano) coauthored with F. Argenti and G. Pantaleo.
- 2004-2008: AXMEDIS IST FP6 IP project coordinator.
- since 2008: members of the Italcertifer Certification Committe on railway mater and lanes, for the Uniersity of Florence.
- since 2007: vice director of Department of Systems and Informatics of the University of Florence.
- 2003-2007: Cochair (with Giorgio Zoia, EPFL) of the MPEG ISO Group on Music Notation Requirements, and thus Editor of the MPEG ISO Symbolic Music Representation Standard. Then Editor of MPEG-SMR standard.
- 1994-2005: Member of the Editorial board of the Journal of Real-Time Imaging, Academic Press.
- 2000-2004: Chair of Steering Committee of WEB Delivering of Music Conference
- 1999-2003: WEDELMUSIC ICT STREP FP5 project coordinator. The WEDELMUSIC project has been selected as one of the best top 20 projects in the area of “Cross media content and publishing” for the FP 5 of the European Commission. On such grounds it has been granted with the support of the ADOPT-IT project, even after the WEDELMUSIC project reached its end.
- 2002: ninth in the international contest as best researcher in the area of Software Engineering, the only Italian to receive the title of “9th Best Researcher in Software Engineer in the world (2002)”, see above for further references.
- 2002: finalist in the area of Information Technology of Pirelli Internet Technology Award 2002, among more than 1200 submitted papers, with his research work for the project WEDELMUSIC IST FP 5.
- 2001: eleventh in the international contest, the only Italian to receive the title of “11th Best Researcher in Software Engineer in the world (2001) and the 3rd in Europe”: identified as the 11th in the top 15 list of Systems and Software Engineering for the period 1997-2001. Such result was identified within the annual survey held by the Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), released on the Journal of Systems and Software thirteenth issue of year 2002. Their evaluation criteria are based on research publications appeared in the best qualified scientific reviews of Software Engineering: Information and Software Technology, Journal of Systems and Software, Software Practice and Experience, IEEE Software, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodologies, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering.
- 2001: Winner of the Best Paper Award of IEEE ICECCS2001 for: P. Bellini, P. Nesi, ``Communicating TILCO: a model for Real-Time System Specification", Best Paper Award, Proc. of the 7th ``IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems'', ICECCS'01, IEEE Press, Sweden, June 2001.
- 2001: finalist in the area of Information Technology of Discovery technology award, among several submitted papers, with his research work for the MOODS project, where Prof. P. Nesi was coordinator. The project itself has been proposed for candidacy by the Disney Company in 2001.
- 2000: Vice Chair of IEEE Technical Committee on Complex Computer Systems. Click here for the conference and committee history.
- 2000: Member of the Steering Committee of the IEEE International Conference on Complex Computer Systems, 2000.
- since 1996, member of the Editorial board of the CRC Press Book Series on Image Processing.
- "Software Engineering" area editor for the realization of technical Dictionary: "Computer Science, Engineering and Technology" of CRC Press, 1998-2000.
He has organized and has taken part into many conferences, playing different roles, among them:
- 2011: General co-Chair of the DMS 2011, Florence, Italy.
- DMS 2010, program co-chair with Kia Ng.
- keynote Speaker for the 2nd International Symposium on Intelligent Interactive Multimedia Systems and Services, IIMSS2009, Hosted by University of Milan, Mogliano Veneto, 16-17 July 2009. SLIDES
- Workshop chair, Distributed Multimedia Computing, in DMS 2009, The 15th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems (DMS'09), Redwood City, San Francisco Bay, USA, September 10-12, 2009, 2009 http://www.ksi.edu/seke/dms09.html
- General Chair of AXMEDIS 2008 International Conference, Florence, Nov 2008, Italy, IEEE Computer Society press, and Florence University press proceedings.
- Workshop chair, Distributed Multimedia Computing, in DMS 2008, The 14th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems (DMS'08), Hyatt Harborside at Logan Int'l Airport, Boston, USA September 4 - September 6, 2008 http://www.ksi.edu/seke/dms08.html
- General Chair of AXMEDIS 2005 International Conference on Automated Production of Cross Media Content for Multi-Channel Distribution, Florence, 30 Nov-2 December 2005, Italy, IEEE Computer Society press, and Florence University press proceedings.
- General Chair of the 5th Open Workshop of the MUSICNETWORK, Wien, Austria, 4-5 July 2005.
- General Chair Workshop on Assessment Model for Symbolic Music Representation, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, with MPEG AHG on SMR, October 2004.
- General Chair, 4th Open Workshop of the MUSICNETWORK, Barcelona, September 2004.
- General co-Chair (with A. Fantechi) of the ICECCS 2004, IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems, Florence, Italy, 14-16 April, 2004.
- Program Co-Chair of WEDELMUSIC2002, the International Conference on Web Delivering of Music, Darmstadt, December 2002, Germany
- General Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, ICSM'2001, held 5-10, November 2001 in Florence, Italy.
- General Chair of the International Conference on Web Delivering of Music, WEDELMUSIC2001, Florence 23-24 November 2001, Italy, IEEE issued proceedings.
- Organizing Member of the 7th IEEE Workshop on Empirical Studies of Software Maintenance, held in Florence, Italy, November 2001.
- Several other program activities as program chair, track chair, workshop chair, tutorial speacker, keynote speacker, advisor, etc.
He has been and he is actually member of many Conference Committees and International Conference Series Committees such as: IEEE ICSE, IEEE METRICS, IEEE ICSM, IEEE ICECCS, CSRM, AXMEDIS, WEDELMUSIC, CIM, PROFES, AQUIS, VIRTUAL Goods, NASA conf, ITA, ICMC, SEKE, RTI, ICSOFT, CHItaly of ACM, AIIA, DMS of SEKE, etc.
He has published more than 200 articles for conferences and journals with international reviews, and books, without forgetting hundreds of reports related to E.C. funded R&D projects, and many many contributions to Standardisation Bodies such as MPEG ISO especially on the MPEG-4 SMR, MPEG-21 IPMP and REL, MPEG MW3 (Multimedia Middelware).
He is author of several papers in reviews such as: IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics, ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, ACM Computing Survey, IEEE Software, IEEE Computer, IEEE Multimedia, Real-Time Systems: the International Journal of Time Critical Systems, Journal of Information and Software Technology, Signal Processing, Journal on Applied Artificial Intelligence, Journal of Systems and Software, Journal of Real Time Imaging, International Journal of Human Computer Studies, etc.
He has done many workshops at invitation and he has prepared many tutorials and keynotes for industry and above mentioned well known conferences series.
He has been Chair of the Standardisation group in the MPEG ISO (International Standard Organization), for the MPEG SMR, for MPEG M3W (middleware for software component distribution), MPEG-21 (distribution and DRM models, protection models). Many of his contributions have been taken into account and are at present an integrated part of world-wide standards, like MPEG ISO. He is actually editor in standards such as MPEG SMR and MPEG M3W (as research group).
He has promoted and he has been scientific responsible of international research projects such as: IMAESTRO, MUPAAC, WEDELMUSIC, MUSICNETWORK, ICCOC, MOODS, IMEASY, VISICON, VARIAZIONI, OFCOMP, OPTAMS, AXMEDIS, ECLAP and so forth. For further reference on each and every project. He has played the role of Project Coordinator for MOODS, MUSICNETWORK, WEDELMUSIC,AXMEDIS, and ECLAP.